[WT-support] Handling serial numbers on multiple computers

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Mar 29 00:32:47 CEST 2011

The idea of reserving or locking serial numbers has been discussed at length
on this reflector many times.  The author has tried to explain that they do
not want to implement the complexity of a serial number server or network
lock.

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2009-August/078077.html

<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2009-August/078077.html>Serial
numbers should be *by band* if you are MULTI-TWO or MULTI-MULTI.  Serial
numbers should be sequential if you are multi-single, partially to
discourage the use of the octopus.

The bottom line is that it is very unlikely that the Win-Test code is going
to be changed to implement serial number reservation, so you need another
system.  It is also perfectly acceptable to give the same serial number to
two different QSOs, as long as the sent serial number is shown  correctly in
the Cabrillo file.

I do think it should be a lot easier to update a sent serial number than it
is today, where you have to select Edit Sent Serial Number from the menu.