[WT-support] DVK delays; DVK file locations; automatically advancing the cursor in ESM mode; sound card simultaneous record/playback

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Mar 2 20:58:53 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Alan <N3AD at verizon.net> wrote:

>  I tried to post this to the Win-Test reflector, but probably addressed it
> wrong as I don't think it made it to the reflector.

Nope, it never made it.  The reflector address is support at win-test.com .
When did you send the message?  Do you see anything like a bounce message in
your Spam folder?

This morning when I tested it I found that when playing the F2 (59 600)
> message there was a long delay maybe 5 or 6 seconds and sometimes it didn’t
> play at all.

Chances are you have an MK2R+ defined in Win-Test setup, but since it is not
hooked up, Win-Test times out waiting for it to respond, then sends the DVK
message.  If you can't figure it out, please send me your WT.INI file (File
| Explore | /cfg directory) and your .WT4 file.

It's also possible that Windows itself needs to swap those .WAV files into
memory or cache so that they play faster.  If your computer has < 1 GB of
RAM you really don't have enough to run Win-Test reliably and there can be
delays while Windows swaps data (such as audio messages) from the Windows
swap file to memory.  But one possibility is that the WAV files have delays
recorded in them and they simply need to be re-recorded or edited.

> I tried substituting other WAV files that I know are good and same result.

What happens if you try to play the WAV files with Windows Media Player?  Do
you hear the same delay?

>  In going into ops directory I did find a way to fix it. However I don’t
> understand the structure of this directory. Can someone direct me to a
> document which describes this structure. I can’t find it in WT manual (which
> is not to say that it isn’t there). In my V26M directory, I see three
> folders: 101,202,400. The active WAV files seem to be in 202.

Win-Test records separate WAV files for every different type of contest.
The folder names (numbers) correspond to internal contest ID numbers which
are listed here <http://download.win-test.com/v4/lua/constants.wts>.
Contest ID 202 is CQ WW 160.  ARRL DX is contest ID 101.  So, look in the
{AppData}/Win-Test/ops/101 folder for the WAV files that you are using this
weekend.

> I also see msg2, msg2 + 10, msg2 + 20, etc. Do the plus files refer to
> speeded up messages?

Yes, which you can access by pressing Alt-F9 or Alt-F10 to "slow down" or
"speed up" internal DVK messages during playback, just as you would on CW.
The DVK playback speed is shown at the bottom of the Rate window (Alt-R).

> The cure for my original problem was to place the correct F2 WAV file in
> directory 100 as msg2.

I assume you meant to say that you put them in directory *101*.  100 is for
the REF HF contest.

> Also, is there a way to add a $SPACEBAR to F2, so that the curser moves to
> exchange field?

Not on phone.  It would be nice if $SPACEBAR and $TAB would work when used
in the Advanced SO2R Scenarios dialog, but right now they seem to be
ignored.

So, here are two ways to add automatic cursor advance if you are an ESM
user.  You only need to do *one* of the following, not both.

*Method 1:  Customize the standard ESM Script*

   1. Save a copy of
esm.wts<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/API#ESM_Script_.28embedded_into_Win-Test.29>in
your Scripts Folder ( File | Explore | /scripts directory)
   2. Edit the file and add one line to the *sendExchangeRun()* function:

   function sendExchangeRun()
      wtApp:SendFKey(wtQso:IsModePhone() and "F2" or "INSERT"); -- Ternary
   Operator
      wtApp:SendKey(" ");   -- Advance the cursor
      wtQso:SetExchangeSent();
   end;
   3. Depending on personal preference, you may want to add the same line to
   function *sendMyCall()*
   4. Restart Win-Test

*Method 2:  Assign a new script to F2*

   1. Save SpaceBar.wts (attached) into your Scripts Folder ( File | Explore
   | /scripts directory )
   2. Tools | Scripts manager ...
   3. Click on SpaceBar.wts to highlight it
   4. Click the [Properties ...] button
   5. Click the [Define...] button
   6. Press [F2] key
   7. Click [OK]
   8. Click [OK] again

Now when you press Enter to answer a CQer in ESM mode, the cursor will
advance automatically to the exchange field.

 I know how to do this for CW but not for SSB.

If you're using either method on both Phone and CW, you'll want to remove
the $SPACEBAR from you CW messages so that the cursor doesn't advance twice.

My second issue concerns recording. In the CW contest at VP2MMM, I was able
> to record contest by connecting a K3 output (don’t remember if it was
> external speaker or line out) to line in on computer. For this SSB contest,
> I have line out of computer to line in of K3. Note, I have no need to record
> on the fly so this simple setup seems to work well with mike directly to
> rear input of K3. (I did bring along my MK2R+ but trying to keep things
> simple, so won’t use it if not necessary. I have separate virtual serial
> port for radio interface and on CW I also used another virtual serial port
> for standalone Winkey). The problem as I recall, was first that when
> bringing the K3 output into the line in, it also played thru computer
> speaker. If I mute speaker it also mutes line out which I use for voice
> keying. I haven’t found a combination that allows voice keying and recording
> of contest.

This may depend on your sound card hardware, your sound card driver, and
your version of Windows (hopefully XP).  Usually you cannot use a single
sound for simultaneous contest recording and DVK playback, and least not
with Win-Test.  Maybe if you have separate LINE IN and MIC jacks, and
separate "INPUT" and "OUTPUT" choices listed in the sound card selection
dialog, you can do it, otherwise I don't think so.  If you're plugging your
mic. directly into the K3, you'll want to check *both* "MUTE the Microphone"
check boxes in the Win-Test SETUP dialog.  You'll also have to tell Windows
to record via LINE IN rather than MIC.

Most likely you will need to use your MK2R+.  I'd recommend setting the
MK2R+ up as your DVK (select *USB Voice Codec* as the sound card in Win-Test
SETUP), and use the laptop sound card for recording only (K3 LINE OUT to
sound card LINE IN or MIC).