[WT-support] CW Audio on computer exit

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jun 26 07:38:36 CEST 2011

As far as I can tell, some hardware manufacturers attempt to emulate the old
BIOS "Beep" command via the sound card, usually with poor results.  Some
manufacturers just ignore it completely.  Win-Test uses the BIOS beep
because that was the easiest way to do it, at least in the old Windows 95
days.

I have yet to find a Windows 7 machine that does a good job with these CW
beeps.  Some Windows XP machines do work OK however.

But, you are always better off using NOSOUND and listening to the CW
sidetone of your radio or an external oscillator.  There have been some
reports of poor CW keying by Win-Test, which were cured by specifying
NOSOUND.