[WT-support] Surprise gab msg at J7A

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jun 3 04:57:26 CEST 2011

Just as long ago, before the Internet, if you and another station are
connected to the same DX Cluster, you can send TALK messages to each other
via the cluster.  Conveniently, all TALK messages directed to your callsign
will show up in the Gab window (Alt-I), otherwise you would never notice
them.

To reply, press Alt-T and type TALK callsign message in the DX Cluster
window, then press Escape to close it.

e.g. TALK ZL4PW Hello

You can try this yourself.  Just use wtDxTelnet to sign in to a standard DX
Cluster like K3LR (dx.k3lr.com port 23), using your own callsign.  (This
will not work for Reverse Beacon servers.)  Then press Alt-T and type TALK
your-own-callsign Test and you will see the message "Test" appear in the Gab
window (Alt-I).  Press Escape to close the talk window.

ZL4PW cannot view your local gab messages, he can only see messages sent
back to him through the cluster via the TALK command.

Note:  arranging skeds or soliciting contacts through TALK messages is
usually grounds for disqualification, so it's usually not a good idea to use
this feature.