[WT-support] FOC database

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jan 28 19:31:42 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM, <k6rf at aol.com> wrote:

> I would like to update the FOC marathon database.  I looked at the database
> and it looked so simple to just add calls and numbers, but when I tampered
> with it it wouldn't work and I had to reload the old one that is missing
> many of the newer calls.  Is there either an newer .dtb or can you tell me
> how to add the calls that are missing?

What file did you attempt to edit, Foc_marathon.dtb?  That's a binary file.
It can only be updated by Win-Test or a home-grown program or a binary
editor.  You cannot use Word or Notepad to edit it.

There should be someone in FOC who knows enough about software to generate
the updated database file and send it to F6FVY for all to share via the
Win-Test web site (http://download.win-test.com/databases).  You could open
a dummy FOC Maraton log, enter all the callsings yourself, and then do File
| Update Database, but that would be a lot of typing.  There are better
ways.

Instead of using the binary database (.dtb) file which does annoying
pre-fills, I would suggest using an ASCII "Extra data file" (.xdt) instead,
which displays the data in a pop-up window, like a "Names" database.  Just
create a text file, one line per FOC callsign, and place it in your /extras
directory (File | Explore | /extras directory).  See
http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#Extra_Information for more
details.

Press Alt-X to open the Extra Data window.  Right click and select "Extra
data files ...".  Press [Add], choose your Foc_marathon.xdt file (be sure
the file name ends with .xdt, *not* .xdt.txt), then press [OK].

Now, when you type an FOC callsign in the logging window, the info. for that
callsign will display in the Extra Information window.