[WT-support] RTTY with FT-990

Simon Schelkshorn simon at schelkshorn.de
Fri Feb 11 13:12:54 CET 2011

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Hi Bob,

thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the late response. Here is a first
update on this issiue.
Win-Test manual says:

FT-990
COM port set to 4800 bauds, 8 data bits, no parity, no flow control and 2 stop bits.
For DTR and RTS, see FT-1000D below. Tnx F6GOX, NX5M.
FT-1000D
COM port set to 4800 bauds, 8 data bits, no parity, no flow control and 2 stop bits.
When using a powered CAT interface such as the Yaesu FIF-232C CAT interface box and CT-62
cable, set DTR and RTS to Always OFF.
When using a "passive" (not powered) interface cable such as the K1NU CAT Control Cable, set
DTR to Always OFF, RTS to Always ON. Tnx F5FLN, NX5M, NQ4I.
 What were you using for flow control (DTR and RTS)?  When using microHAM, I think you'll want to set this to Always OFF.

Yes, we were using the FT-990 default settings which are (as you mentioned) 4800Baud, 8-N-2, DTR and RTS both
set to always of.

Unfortunately there was no time this week to try the Omnirig setup, but I will catch up a.s.a.p. and report
the result on the list.

Problem 2:
When the TRX is set to RTTY, Win-Test assumes it is set to SSB. I
first thought this may be a limitation of the CAT protocol, but as
the Device-Router shows the correct mode it seems to also be a Win-
Test issue.
Did you select MODE=RTTY or MIXED in the Contest Configuration screen?  What mode is shown in the logging window?  When using mixed (e.g, for contest type DXpedition), does Ctrl-F1 cycle between radio modes properly?

I was testing with DXPedition and all modes. Yes Ctrl-F1 seems to cycle correctly as the TRX is being switched
to RTTY and also the Mode Indicator in the log shows RTTY for a very short period of time but then is set to
SSB after the status of the TRX has been read back by WT (TRX of course stays in mode RTTY).

When the log is set to MODE=RTTY only then WT will transmit as expected! Due to the problem
with the CAT Interface you have to set the band manually after each bandchange and also the
logged frequency will be wrong. Also bandmap etc. will not work as expected.

I will report any news on this list and once again thank you Bob!

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ