[WT-support] RTTY with FT-990

Simon Schelkshorn simon at schelkshorn.de
Sat Feb 5 23:45:14 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

just returned from a friend where we were trying to add a new
Microham MK2 to his so far mostly uncomputerized station setup. At
the moment we are facing two problems that couldn't be resolved and
seem to be related to Win-Test. The TRX used is a FT-990 with ROM
version 1.3.

Problem 1:
As long as Win-Test is NOT started the Microham USB-Device-Router
displays the correct frequency and mode and everything seems to work
as intended. When starting Win-Test it often happens that the Device-
Router shows a totally wrong frequency (e.g. 0.005,32) and also a
wrong mode. In this state you can't do anything useful (e.g. Win-Test
won't send CW because it believes the TRX is set to SSB, even though
it really is set to CW, etc.) Only thing that "solves" the problem is
closing Win-Test. Then the Device-Router immediately shows the
correct status.

Problem 2:
When the TRX is set to RTTY, Win-Test assumes it is set to SSB. I
first thought this may be a limitation of the CAT protocol, but as
the Device-Router shows the correct mode it seems to also be a Win-
Test issue.

I couldn't find anything related to that in the archive. In contrast
the only thread I found about the FT-990 refers to the ROM version
1.3 as the "correct" one.

We were using Win-Test version 3.27.1 but also tested wit 4.6.1-demo.
The latter didn't make any difference, at least for problem 2 (I
didn't check problem 1 with it).

Any hint is highly appreciated! Mni tks in advance.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ