[WT-support] Edit QSO Alt-F

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Dec 4 22:29:13 CET 2011

> Note that Bjorn is using Win-Test with an MK2R+ with two Elecraft
> K3s. This is an unreliable combination using the latest release of
> microHAM Router software and firmware (no problems on very old
> microHAM Router version 5.1.1, micro KEYER 2R+ v3.0 firmware). I
> think that probably explains why Bjorn is seeing so many mismatches
> between recorded band and frequency: there are timeouts when talking
> to the K3, especially after changing bands, and apparently even using
> the microHAM "K3 Patched" radio choice in the Router software doesn't
> completely solve all the problems).

The problem is that the K3 "goes stupid" after band changes - it sends
several unrequested parameters and stops responding for up to 500 ms.
If the logging program continues to "pound away" with it's polling
during that time, the queue in microHAM Router fills up waiting for
ignores all input during the "stupid" time.  If you will set Win-Test's
Polling rate to at least 500 ms and *uncheck* "Forward autoinformation
to CAT Port" boxes in microHAM Router, things should be more reliable.

The Win-Test drivers could be made more robust by *not* polling for 1000
to 1500 ms after any command that causes a band change until the
automatic "data dump" (echo of the frequency and mode commands followed
by the "info", VFO A, VFO B, selected receive VFO, selected transmit
VFO, Preamp status,  Attenuator status, selected antenna, AGC Speed
and status, and noise blanker status) is complete.  Unfortunately, the
"data dump" is not consistent as the VFO A frequency, VFO B Frequency,
Selected Receive VFO, and Selected Transmit VFO responses *can* appear
multiple times!

Multiple observations shows that it takes between 1000 and 1500 ms
following receipt of an FA or FB command that results in a band change
before the K3 has settled *and* sent all of the "data dump" - even at
38,400 bps - with the P3 in line.  If the logger has polled several
times during that period, the command queue in Router will be badly
backed-up and will certainly have difficulty matching poll/response.

The next version of Router will include a mode for the K3 that will
pause polling (queue incoming data) for 500 ms after a command that
will cause a band change in an attempt to prevent the loss of response
data during the "stupid period".  However, until Elecraft fix their
problem with silently ignoring polls while the synthesizer is settling
and the CPU is sending the status dump, the problems will probably
continue as the oldest unmatched polls must "time out" from the command
queue in microHAM Router.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com

        support at microham.com

This message, including any attachments, may contain proprietary,
confidential or privileged information for the sole use of the specific
individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  You are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this message is prohibited.
  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify
the sender by reply e-mail and delete it.