[WT-support] DVK settings

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Aug 25 23:28:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Winter, Andreas <
andreas.winter at siemens.com> wrote:

>  I looked at the DVK settings and I can't image an application for some
> settings:
>

>     - *MIC*: Enables the mic input when the Voice Keyer (VK) is not
>    playing
>    - *NOMIC*: Mutes the mic input when the VK is not playing (default)
>    - *MICWHENPLAY*: Enables the mic input when the VK is playing
>    - *NOMICWHENPLAY*: Mutes the mic input when the VK is playing (default)
>

> Mic is clear to me and would be used in all cases in my opinion.

MIC and NOMICWHENPLAY do make the most sense, except as described below.

>  NoMic and NoMicWhenPlay is probably in order to mute the mic that nothing
> is send out by accident (default). But I see no further application?

NOMICWHENPLAY allows you to cough, sneeze, eat, drink, burp, etc. while your
CQ LOOP is going, without having those sound go out over the air. :-)

NOMIC is useful for people who may find it easier to use an electret "PC
mic." to record DVK messages to the PC, and a dynamic mic. like a Heil HC-4
connected directly to the radio for live audio.  The HC-4 usually doesn't
work very well if wired directly to a sound card MIC input, as that mic. is
not expecting to see the DC voltage that most PCs put on the sound card
input (as small electret mics require voltage to work).  A tantalum blocking
capacitor is recommended when using an HC-4 wired into a PC.  MIC BOOST is
usually required as well.

But if you don't have that capacitor, you could mount the PC mic. and the
Heil Mic. next to each other, then mute the PC mic. at all times
*except*when you want to re-record a message via Shift-F1.

What is MicWhenPlay for? Why would you add a mic signal to the playing DVK
> signal?

It allows you to talk over the DVK audio, to insert a serial number into a
pre-recorded message for example, or to use your voice to "override" the
wrong DVK message if you accidentally hit the wrong button, or forget to
interrupt your repeating CQ.

 Did I misunderstood something or do I not see the wood for the trees?

The use of these features is rather obscure and not well documented.