[WT-support] Radio Memory Keying using WT

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 2 20:08:27 CEST 2011

I have reviewed the Icom command set in the past, but I have never been able
to find any documentation for a CAT command that will let a program activate
the radio's internal SSB memories, only the radio's CW memories.  *This is a
severe limitation in the Icom command set that the manufacturer really needs
to address*, in my opinion.  Does anyone know how to get their attention?
 Is there anyone on this list that works for Icom, or knows someone that
works for Icom?  All they have to do is enable the existing CW memory
playback commands to work when the radio is in SSB mode, activating the
voice memories instead of the CW.  No new commands are required, just a
change in the way the existing commands work.

This limitation is true of ALL Icom radios, including the newest "flagship"
models, not just the IC-756ProIII.

FYI, Elecraft is way ahead of Icom as far as CAT control is concerned.  K3
and FT-2000 DVR control works great with Win-Test (see K3scripts.zip and
FT2000scripts.zip at http://bit.ly/wtscripts).

In the mean time, you can use the Win-Test Internal DVK (PC sound card) as a
voice keyer.  Have you tried that?  It works most conveniently on Windows XP
systems, where you can leave the mic. plugged into the computer.  On Windows
Vista or Windows  7, you can't really do that, due to changes in Windows
that prevent live mic. audio from being repeated out the speaker, but the
Win-Test voice keyer still works OK once programmed.  Take care not to press
Alt-F9 and Alt-F10 though (they speed up and slow down the voice
recordings).

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Michael Treister, M.D. <bonemd at ameritech.net