[WT-support] ALERT! CQWW RTTY RULES FOR MS??

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Sep 28 23:04:57 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk at gafm.ee> wrote:

> 1. WT and MMTTY seems to require very powerful computer? I had one of my
> older but very decent laptops running at one station and the CPU usage was
> constantly running close to 100% and RTTY code was often delayed. Sometimes
> it took more than 3 seconds of solid carrier after starting TX for the code
> to start slowly coming. Is there something that can make it easier for the
> computer or I just need more powerful machines?:)

Did you have any Anti-Virus software running on this machine?  I've noticed
that the latest Anti-Virus programs cause Win-Test and any other program to
run very slowly, just after you update the .exe file.  Then after some
period of use, the Anti-Virus program seems to "learn" the ports that the
program uses to communicate, and it adds an automatic "exception," and then
the program runs at normal speed.

MMTTY *does* use a lot of CPU time, especially to update the tuning graphs
in real time.

3. Partner window is updated only when something written or deleted on the
> other station's callsign field. BUT... when the callsign is grabbed with
> Insert from RTTY window then Partner window stays blank! This is a small
> detail maybe but I guess could be classified as bug? In RTTY thus the
> partner window becomes very inefficient.

Alt-Enter has to be used to put callsign in the partner window.  Are you
saying when the run op presses Insert the callsign disappears from partner
window is emptied?  Are you sure that $GRABPARTNER wasn't specifed in an S&P
message, and you were accidentally in S&P mode instead of RUN mode?

> 4. Grabbing callsign with INSERT from RTTY window did not work for RUN
> station when it was in Advanced SO2R mode. I did not test it extensively,
> just switched to SO1R and it worked OK. But it had to do something with
> scenarios. My INSERT key was defined as: $LOGGEDCALL $SPACEBAR $GUESSEXCH
> $F2, F2 was defined as $RST $ZONE and in scenarios F2 was defined as $R2R2
> $F2 $R1R2 I think. This might be an serious issue for SO2R operator.
> Somebody might want to try if he can replicate this problem. For me it
> seemed to trigger 2xSPACEBAR moving the cursor to S/P field and not grabbing
> anything from RTTY window.

Did you have any LUA scripts assigned to the spacebar or $F2?  Type SCRIPTS
[Enter] or select Tools | Scripts Manager to check this.  Also check
DEFINEKEYS.

Were you using ESM mode or NOESM?

5. The old thing of wishing to have $KEYB Macro to be inserted in a message
> to trigger ALT-K (keyboard mode) to be able to program for example TU NEXT
> $KEYB to do tail ending. Or to send PSE QSY $KEYB to QSY a multiplier. I am
> not 100% sure - you guys have not already implemented it, have you?? I long
> for this every CW and now also RTTY contest.

$CORRECT TU $CR NOW $GRABPARTNER $NEXT $F2

is about the only mechanism available for stacking QSOs in Win-Test I think.