[WT-support] Win-Test vs. WinKeyer USB

Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 05:56:36 CEST 2010

At an integration exercise for P40L WW CW, I had some trouble with WinKeyer
USB vs. Win-Test on a specific Win XP Pro computer. With computer-sent code
only, the second and subsequent letters of a word have distorted dots. I
think they're too fast or too short. It's only noticeable at 34 wpm and
above. This problem does not occur on the same hardware configuration using
WriteLog. I have tried two V22 WinKeyer USB devices, two radios (K3s), two
different USB ports and they all have the same problem. The same hardware
driven by a different computer running Win 7 works fine. The Win-Test setup
parameters for WinKeyer are identical on both computers. I replaced the FTDI
driver on the problem computer with a new driver; no help. ASCII text seems
to be getting from Win-Test to the WinKeyer USB device correctly - WinKeyer
USB sends the correct text every time. Only the dots are distorted.  There
was a third machine in play that worked fine during the integration exercise
and I think it was also running WinXP. The problem computer, FWIW, is a
Lenovo T61p running XP Pro. The Win 7 machine was a different model Lenovo.
The other, probably XP, machine was an HP laptop.

Any thoughts?

--

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA