[WT-support] Running Win-Test with wine on Linux OS, not sending UDP packets

Jon Kåre Hellan hellan at acm.org
Sat Nov 13 18:47:37 CET 2010

On 11/13/2010 03:58 PM, Oliver Grossmann wrote:
> Hello Win-Test List,
> I'm running Win-Test 4.6.1 Demo with wine on Linux.
> It looks like everything is working, only Network isn't working.
>
> It is possible to receive UDP Commands from native windows machine but
> it isn't possible to send udp packets to the broadcast IP. For the DX
> cluster it is the same, it can receive from the windows machine commands
> like sh/dx, but the response get lost in wine. If i'm sending udp
> packets from UDP Test Tool to broadcast IP from wine, everything is
> working. It looks
>
> Is anybody working with win-test using wine and solved this issue?

It's almost always a permissions issue. On linux, only the root user is
allowed to send broadcasts. I'm not aware of any permissions you can
tweak, either.

You could run wine as root, but that's not recommended. The clean way to
solve this would be with a proxy running as root. You would send to a
local port, and the proxy would broadcast the packages.

Regards

Jon LA4RT