[WT-support] Crappy SS signals

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Nov 11 20:10:54 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:30 PM, microHAM America - W4TV <
microHAM at microham-usa.com> wrote:

> I don't know why you would not take advantage of the K3 PA PTT support.

Because I don't believe the MK2R PTT line can handle QSK CW at 40 WPM nearly
as well as the K3 and the Alpha (or KPA500) alone.  Anything that reduces
receiver turnaround time, such as a delayed opening of the amplifier "KEY"
line, hurts QSK performance.

When I first got my MK2R, after moving the jumpers to the SolidState
position, I tried connecting the MK2R PA PTT line to my Alpha 87A.  As I
recall, the LPT port CW keying ended up sounding *very* choppy, and there
was a noticeable over the air "pop" on SSB every time I went from transmit
to receive.  I went back to a direct connection from the K3 KEY OUT to the
AMP KEY IN, and everything was perfect.

Conclusion:  no reason whatsoever to use the MK2R's PA PTT line when you
have a high speed QSK amp and a K3 set for minimum TX DLY.