[WT-support] Hidden Files

Albert Crespo f5vhj at orange.fr
Tue Nov 9 19:25:46 CET 2010

In CQWW SSB as 6W1RY  I used Win-Test  for the contest running Windows 7.  I especially liked the recording feature. I backed up the contest using a USB stick  every minute. When the contest was over, I could not find the file I had named 10PHCQWW nor the mpg file on the laptop in the subdirectory it was supposed to be in.
A search showed a log called 10PHCQWW. but it could not find the location.
In file, explore and log directory, my laptop said I could not access the directory.
I must have a set of hidden files .
So, I reconfigured Windows 7 to show hidden files. No luck.
l looked it up in DOS, same story. Ran DOS as an administrator and same result.
Contacted N6TV and he gave me a lot of advice as to what to do, sent him copies of the screen on the laptop, etc.,  Never found the file on the laptop in the directory it was supposed to be nor anywhere else.
Win-Test saves the last five logs opened so I could access the file on the hard drive but when I went looking for it in the Win-Test subdirectory, it is not viewed.
If I had not saved the file onto the USB, I would not have a file to transfer to another computer.
I downloaded the most recent version, 4.6.
I then decided  to create a new contest file and not  rename it and just  use the default settings for  the name and placement of the file.
I could find and read both the contest wt4 file and the new MPG file.
Bottom line, use the default settings Win-Test generates and be happy.