[WT-support] OFF Time bar and CW stutter

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun May 23 22:10:15 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Andy Cook G4PIQ <g4piq at btinternet.com>wrote:

> While trying to get WinTest configured on an old laptop I've run across a
> problem with stuttering CW (both as sent from the LPT port and in the
> sidetone generated by the PC). The computer isn't fast (Toshiba R100 1.1 GHz
> Pentium-M, Win XP SP3, 1.2Gb RAM), but itbs not an old dog either. I've done
> al the usual stuff of running ccleaner, defrag the disk, checking the disk
> cache isn't partitioned etc.

I just tried WT 4.4 on a very similarly equipped IBM ThinkPad X40 (1 GHz
Pentium-M, WinXP SP3, 1.2 GB RAM) using a real docking station LPT port for
CW (as well as the DTR line on COM1).  No stuttering heard (except in the PC
speakers, which is "normal").  Try NOSOUND [Enter] and listen only to your
rig's sidetone.

Is your rig in QSK mode or semi-breakin VOX or is it relying on PTT from
Win-Test?  Did you try rebooting the PC?  Disabling AutoProtect?

I find that I can get the CW to go normal if I turn off the 'How many
> minutes since last QSO' bar in the status window. Importantly I also find
> that running that bar raises the CPU utilisation on the computer from around
> 4% to around 25% which seems an inordinate amount of CPU to just display
> that bar.

Interesting.  Maybe there's a graphics library or DirectX dependency.  Run
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.EXE to display the current version.  My X40 is
running DirectX 9.0C and all pages report "No problems found."

Perhaps your display resolution or limited no. of display colors is causing
excessive CPU time to calculate the colors for this bar?  Does it work any
differently if you use only an external monitor?

> As a reference, I don't see this problem (or the high CPU from the status
> bar) on a P4 1.6 GHz desktop. Win Test version is 4.4.0 in each case.

Open up Windows Task manager, click on the *Processes* tab, then click on
the column header labeled *CPU* (*not* CPU Time, but *CPU*).  The click on *CPU
*again.  This will sort in reverse order, telling you which processes are
currently using the most CPU time.  That will give you important
information.

While CW is sending and the timer bar is moving on my ThinkPad X40, I see
very little CPU being used by Win-Test.

I presume Win-Test doesn't place any requirements on the Java version on the
> PC (this machine has had a few different versions of Java for work -
> otherwise it's pretty normal).

Win-Test doesn't use Java at all; it's written in C++.  But it may have a
dependency on DirectX or the Windows Graphics libraries or the color
settings of your display.  I'm using 1280 x 1024, 32-bit color.  Are you
driving two displays at once or only the Toshiba laptop display?

> Or maybe I just have to build that WinKey unit I have in the cupboard...
> But then I have to sort out another working USB-serial adapter!

Win-Test usually sends good well-timed CW via LPT or COM port, but you still
need to hook up your paddles to a separate keyer wired in parallel.  The
only time I've heard any kind of stuttering is if I tried to use the menus
while Win-Test was sending via LPT.  Other than that the CW timing always
sounds great, though I wish it offered WEIGHT and Keying Compensation
(K-Factor) options while keying via LPT or COM pins).