[WT-support] microHam micro2R with WT

AC0W ac0w at charter.net
Wed May 12 18:45:56 CEST 2010

I've found one thing that helps almost eliminate my keying delay problems. In my router I have several different configurations for different software and radio combinations with one being basically the default configuration. After I get things all up and working similar to below, I click on the button for the configuration I am using, even if the router opens in the correct configuration.

Doing that I have 100% success rate. If I don't do that it may work fine for a while, it may work fine for a long time or it may not work right from the get go. Problem is usually it will stop working right in the middle of an important contact.

It is almost like during the start up sequence some parameter or a group of parameters don't always get loaded correctly. By clicking on the button it appears I get all the parameters loaded correctly and things behave nicely.

I believe I have this problem with other software so I think it may be more of a microham problem.

Bill
AC0W
---- "Bob Wilson wrote:
1-2 second delays are a common problem when using Win-Test with the microHAM
control protocol, even with the older MK2R+.

Make sure you don't have PTT lead/tail delays set to the default values.
Use the *minimum* numbers (e.g. 0.0 if possible).  You have to set this in
both the Router program and in the Win-Test Winkey Configuration screen
(shortcut:  WKSETUP [Enter]).

Sometimes powering everything off and on in just the right sequence will
correct the problem, e.g.:

   1. Power on computer
   2. Wait for Router program to start (yellow X)
   3. Power on microHAM box
   4. Wait for Router to detect microHAM (Green check mark)
   5. Turn on radios
   6. Wait for microHAM Ports tab to display rig freq.
   7. Start Win-Test
   8. Issue two or three messages to see if thing speed up (first few
   messages may be delayed)

If that doesn't help, verify that you are using the correct COM port
settings in Win-Test Interface Configuration, e.g.:

   - microHAM control port:  38400,N,8,1
   - WinKey port:  1200,N,8,2 Handshake/Handshake
   - Elecraft port:  4800,N,8,1 Always OFF/Always OFF
   - Yaesu port:  4800,N,8,2 Always OFF/Always OFF

For radios, press the "Use xxx defaults" button on the Win-Test COM port
setup screen.  Make sure both Win-Test and the microHAM box are talking to
the rig with the same speed settings.