[WT-support] soundcards not to use for WT DVK

KL7RA kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Fri Mar 12 15:04:23 CET 2010

The soundcards in Compaq Deskpro EN PC's from Pentium 3 to 4
will not work as a DVK using WT without injecting additional noise
into the message.  Intel 82801GA/BAM

The soundcard injects a sideband noise into the main audio. The audio
is actually noise from the processor. You can hear the mouse move on
the screen, etc. Stopping WT and the noise goes away.

These soundcards built on the motherboard also do not have a software
mute. The mic is hot all the time.

The above is true beyond all reasonable doubt with five of these DeskPro
PC's built in different years and different processors.

Some options to use them, (as is), is to bypass the soundcard Mic input
with a relay except for playback. Making the recording  really hot helps
swamp out the soundcard noise. Use the speaker jack in the back also
helps reduce the noise.

Even then most listening to the transmission when we are loud enough
can hear the noise.

Bottom line, not all soundcards will work with a windows logging program.
I also have two HP computers with soundcards that work fine.

73 Rich KL7RA