[WT-support] IOTA Cabrilio

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Jul 29 01:57:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Wes Printz, W3SE/ZL3TE <w3se at dxer.com>wrote:

> In the Setup screen I had entered OCT36 in the Exchange box, to send the
> cut Zero, rather than turning on Cut Numbers.

This brings up a common usability problem in Win-Test.  If you put the full
exchange in the Contest Configuration Window's "Exchange" box, with leading
zeroes, e.g. "03" in CQ WW CW or OC036 in IOTA, then use $ZONE or $ISLAND in
your CW messages, the full leading zero is sent on CW, no matter what you do
with the "cut number" CW options such as NOLEADZERO.  Those options only
seem to apply to serial numbers. :-(

If you enter the Exchange the way you want to send it, such as "T3" in CQ WW
CW or "OCT36" in the IOTA contest, the CW messages sound fine, but your
Cabrillo file gets messed up and it will be rejected by the robots.

One way to fix it would be for Win-Test to respect the LZ, NOLZ, NOABBREV,
SEMIABBREV, FULLABBREV, PROCUT, and CUSTOMCUT CW abbreviation settings in
numeric exchange fields as well as serial number fields.

Of course if you don't use $ZONE or $ISLAND in CW messages, you can send
whatever you want, but then you have to remember to program the zone number
in two places, two different ways, every time you change QTH.