[WT-support] [?? Probable Spam] Re: Radio 1 Window in WT4.5.0

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Aug 25 20:32:41 CEST 2010

First, the fastest way to restart/reset all the COM ports is to keep your
hand off the mouse and use a text command shortcut.  In the logging window,
type:

   1. SETUP [Enter] (displays Interface Configuration dialog)
   2. [Enter] (like pressing OK)

The text commands are all listed
here<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Text_commands>.
They are also shown in pop-help if you hover over a menu item, if the Text
command tips option<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Help#Display_text_command_tips_for_menu_items>is
checked in the Help menu.  Text commands are big time savers.

For the VFO incorrect frequency problem, a lot of things might explain why a
rig's displayed frequency may not match what is shown in Win-Test:

   1. Yaesu rig in "MEM TUNE" mode instead of VFO mode
   2. Incorrectly configured COM port handshaking (use the DEFAULTS button)
   3. Use of a USB-to-Serial converter based on the PROLIFIC chipset (use
   FTDI chipset instead -- I think Edgeport is OK)
   4. OmniRig bug (but no reports on that to date)
   5. New Win-Test bug (seems unlikely since so few have reported this, and
   I'm not aware of any recent changes to the rig control code)
   6. AntiVirus software (or virus or other monitoring software) is
   periodically "poking" the COM ports (seems unlikely)
   7. RFI in the USB/serial port lines
   8. USB connector is bad or loose
   9. USB port is powering itself off

To fix the last item:

   1. Go into the Windows Device Manager (Start, Run, DEVMGMT.MSC)
   2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers (click the [+])
   3. Right click on each *USB Root Hub*
   4. Select *Properties* (left click)
   5. Click on the *Power Management* tab
   6. *Uncheck* *Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power*

To help isolate the issue, please report:

   1. Version of Win-Test
   2. USB-to-Serial converter brand and model (if any)
   3. USB-to-Serial driver version
   4. Radio Type and Model
   5. All COM port settings for that radio (baud rate, data bits, stop bits,
   handshaking)
   6. Exactly what you saw on the Win-Test screen and the radio re.
   frequency displays.