[WT-support] New Lua APIs

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Oct 7 19:51:32 CEST 2009

First, why do all the wtRadio* functions end with an asterisk at the end,
and the other functions do not?  Is it a "pointer"?

Thank you for adding

wtRadio*:Send(catString)
Send the ASCII catString to the designated radio

So I guess now I could write a function called ClearRIT that sends the clear
RIT message to my K3:

function ClearRIT();
  wtRadio*:Send("RC;") -- Clear RIT command for Elecraft K3
end;

But I could write a ClearRIT functoin that works with *all* my radios, not
just the K3, if there was a "GetRadioType" function and a list of radio type
constants.

I see I can assign ClearRIT to some function key, but I really want to call
it at the end of a CW message, like the [+] message.

So, can you give us a way to call any LUA function from a CW or RTTY
message?  Then I could program [+] to be

TU $MYCALL $CR $ClearRIT()    (doesn't work yet)

I know there are other ways to do make it work, say, by assigning a LUA
function to the [+] key, but I think that is harder to understand compared
to what I am suggesting above.

Finally, are there plans to add more wtContest functions so that we can
eventually write a complete LUA script to support a "User Defined Contest"
type for usupported contests?