[WT-support] [WT-support M/S bug noticed

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Mar 29 05:28:58 CEST 2009

We are having a problem in our M/S class effort with our
mult and run radios. I'm not sure this affects M/M or not.

The serial number is not held during the QSO, so we are
getting busted QSO's when both run and mult are on the same
band. If for example the run op is working a station and
gives the S/N, and if before he logs the mult station works
a mult on the same band, the software increments the SN.
This means the run op busts the SN in the log. We can send
the same SN to TWO stations, and one of the stations will
log the wrong one. The mult op "steals" the SN the run op
was using, or vice versa. It is also possible for both
stations to get a wrong entry.

The correct idea would be to hold the SN until enter is hit
or the callsign wiped. It does not matter if an occasional
SN is lost by an incomplete QSO, but the failure to assign a
SN when a QSO starts and hold it is can result in two or
more busted QSO's in every overlap when the run and mult are
on the same band. It is so bad we only have one station on a
band at a time even though we could have put the run and
mult on the same band.

Why not, once the field is started to be filled, hold the SN
and assign the next up to the other radio??? That would make
more sense.

73 Tom