[WT-support] Database (.DTB) files - naming convention? Determining .DTB being used?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 22 20:20:37 CEST 2009

Someone asked me if there was a .DTB file for the OK/OM DX Contest.  I
looked in

http://download.win-test.com/databases/

but could not find one.  There is also nothing listed on the Wiki page:

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Database_Files

I see you can convert Cabrillo logs to .DTB:

http://www.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2007-January/072867.html

but even if you create OKOM.DTB, Win-Test will ignore it.

Questions:

   1. How does Win-Test determine the *name* of the contest-specific *name*.DTB
   file you must create (where is the "official" complete list?)
   2. What .DTB file name do you use for OK/DX contest?  I tried OKOM.DTB,
   OK_OM.DTB and OK-OM.DTB, but Win-Test ignored them and used HF.DTB instead.
   3. How can you determine which .DTB file Win-Test loaded (and which file
   the UPDATEDB command will modify without warning)?
   4. Are .DTB files eventually going to be replaced by something else in
   V4?  They are rather hard to work with.

When you open a file, Win-test *briefly* displays "Loading HF.DTB" message,
but you have to be *really *quick to see it.  After that, there is no way to
see which .DTB file Win-Test is using for "Exchange guessing."  Yes, you can
select "Used Files List" from the check partial window, but that usually
displays MASTER.SCP or DEFAULT.SCP.  In only displays a .DTB file name if
the .SCP files were not found.

Perhaps Win-Test could add a new *Options | Databases* menu (text command
DATABASES) that could display a message box listing the exchange database
files being used.  Or the "Used Files" message box we currently have could
be enhanced to list which .SCP *and* .DTB files are being used.

In the mean time, "Extra Information" (.XDT) text files can be used, but
they don't fill in the expected exchange automatically (and maybe that's a
good thing).

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#Extra_Information