[WT-support] question

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 22 00:16:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM, XABSS1 <xabss1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi folks,das the win-test software support rigexpert standard
> interface,thanks in advance,73 andy

It looks like it should work, though I haven't tried it myself.  Searching
the archives, few people seem to be using this device.  Some have had
problems with rig control.  I see the RigExpert Standard has gone through a
number of firmware upgrades:

http://www.rigexpert.com/index?f=downloads

The RigExpert documentation says they use FTDI's FT2232C Dual USB UART/FIFO
chip (USB to serial converter) and refers you to the FTDI web site
http://www.ftdichip.com.

According to the FTDI
documentation<http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes/AN_104_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_WindowsXP%28FT_000093%29.pdf>,
when you install the device driver, it defines two virtual COM ports (e.g.
COM4 and COM5).  You would use one for rig control and one for CW/PTT.  In
Win-Test SETUP, you would have to specify the use of those virtual COM
ports, e.g. COM4 for Radio 1 and COM5 for CW/PTT.  There is no specific
Win-Test support for the RigExpert itself, so you should use it just like
any other USB-to-Serial interface.

The RigExpert manual <http://www.rigexpert.com/index?get=rep_manual.pdf>says:

"Please remember that since CAT and PTT/CW lines are located on *two
different* COM ports, software
*should *also be set to use separate ports for CAT and PTT/CW outputs."

BTW Andy, what is your callsign?