[WT-support] V4- SO2R and ESM

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jul 10 22:31:57 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Sadly this cannot be done. The remapping requires one to press the key of
> both the new and the original key, and since I don't have a numeric keypad I
> can't press any of those keys ( obviously). That means that users of mini
> keyboards like myself cannot reprogramme any key from the numeric keypad.
> For me that means that I cannot switch radios in SO2R, and effectively means
> I won't be able to use Win-test, except perhaps in single band contests.
> Does anyone know how the pressing of a numeric keypad key can be "faked" so
> that the computer can be fooled into reprogramming such a function?

Yes.  Almost all mini keyboards and laptops have a [NumLock] key that shifts
the function of some "regular" keys so that they do the function of the
Numeric keypad for as long as NumLock is enabled.  Usually these numeric
keys (including [*]) are labeled on the key tops with some other color.

So try this:

   1. DEFINEKEYS
   2. Press [Add]
   3. Press the [#] key, or whatever key you want to use to Swap Radios,
   such as [Ctrl-S]
   4. Press [NumLock] (perhaps it is [Shift]-[NumLock] -- watch the keyboard
   status LEDs to see what happens)
   5. Press the [p] key or whatever key is labeled as numeric keypad [*].
   It could be the same key as the normal [*], but un-shifted.
   6. Press [NumLock] or [Shift]-[NumLock].  Numeric mode LED should go out.
   7. You should see that [#] or [Ctrl-S] is now doing the same same
   function as [*]
   8. Press [OK]

If that doesn't work, as others have suggested, just temporarily use an
external full-sized keyboard to program everything.