[WT-support] Register problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jul 7 19:58:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY <f6fvy at free.fr> wrote:

> After upgrading (or buying a full licence), you'll get access to the
> download area where you will be able to install a registrable version.

As I am sure others would like to know, why have you guys decided to do
create this extra password protected site for Version 4?  It was so much
easier with Version 3:  just download the latest (fixed) version from
http://download.win-test.com at any time and you are good to go.

Now we have this password-protected site
http://download.win-test.com/v4/binwhich will make it much more
difficult for people to grab last-minute
fixes.  I can just see the email now:  "My hard disk crashed, I lost my
password, please help!"

Was this done because someone "cracked" the old Win-Test security system,
and was using it for free?  I don't see how this extra level of password
protection will make things that much more secure.  Someone with access to
v4/vin will just post their own copy of it on the Internet somewhere, with
no password.

I just think it will be a lot less headaches for everyone if you remove the
password from v4/bin, but still use a reg. key system as before.  As we all
know, the old V3 reg. keys don't work with V4, so you still have to upgrade.