[WT-support] Sharing COM Ports

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jan 30 01:48:55 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar at dseven.org>wrote:

> Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> > I don't understand why it is important to share CAT control of a rig
> between
> > CW Skimmer and Win-Test.
> I setup K3 / LP-Pan / LP-Bridge / Skimmer / Win-Test for NAQP CW, and it
> all worked together quite nicely.
> Skimmer did believe it was talking to a Softrock-IF, IIRC.
>
> Both Skimmer and W-T were talking to the K3 via LP-Bridge, and both allowed
> click-to-QSY.

OK, I guess this is one example where COM port sharing is useful.  But it is
so specific to that exact hardware configuration.

I think the general solution of using CW Skimmer's announce messages would
work almost as well, but with far more radios.

On the other hand, what if a single-op wants to use a different band scope
like Winrad or Rocky or PowerSDR or something, instead of CW Skimmer in
blind mode?  In that case, it sure would be nice if all our radio software
would use OmniRig to control the radios, since OmniRig shares serial
communications so nicely.  It's a free program too (unlike CW Skimmer).