[WT-support] Keyer

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jan 23 14:07:24 CET 2009

Thanks Bob,

This all explains it. The keyers by themselves are fine but
again I am limited by the marginal CW support inside
Wintest.

That's a little disappoint because at first I thought I
would use external keyers so I spent several hundred dollars
on external keyers. Then because of the lack of weight
control I put them all in a pile and bought winkeyers to
replace them, but now I learn I  can only use the full
features of the keyer adjustments if I close wintest and
adjust the keyer and then reopen wintest.

I can however correctly compensate the weight of the CW now
if I do it by closing wintest and adjusting the keyer and
then reopening wintest, so the money and time is not
entirely wasted. :-)

> Do your USB keyers use the original Winkey chip, or the
> Winkey2 chip?

Winkey2.

> Win-Test can change some settings on the Winkey chip via
> the WKSETUP
> command, but AFIK they never added support for specific
> Winkey2 features, or
> weight / keying compensation adjustments.  Maybe they will
> enhance the
> Winkey setup screens in the future.

I hope so. The price of the program is nothing compared to
the price I am spending trying to work around the software!

> Try letting Win-Test alone control the speed of the
> Winkey, instead of using
> the speed knob.  I know that pressing [Alt-F9] and
> [Alt-F10] it is not
> nearly as nice as turning a knob, but for now it may be
> the only way to get
> the full speed range that you want.

I found that out. So now I can't even use the speed knob, so
all I did was fix the weight control as long as I exit
WinTest to adjust things.

> I use a Griffin Powermate USB
> knob<http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-1100-PWRMTS-PowerMate-Multimedia-Controller/dp/B000RZO482>

I'll probably have to look at other basic software or live
with what I have now. I am not going to throw more money at
a program not written for CW by buying more hardware. If
this doesn't work then I'll find another software since it
is really the root of the problems I am having.

73 Tom