[WT-support] Fw: Win-test/MMTTY/RADIO

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jan 7 19:18:21 CET 2009

2009/1/7 Ian Frith Broad Band <i.FRITH at ntlworld.com>

>  I am not using any rig blaster micro-ham what ever!..

OK Ian.  Apparently only TA2RC is using a Rigblaster.

I can't find a description of the hardware or ports that you are using (a
snap-shot of your Win-Test SETUP screen would help), but I assume you have
some sort of USB-to-serial adapter that provides a virtual serial port, and
you have assigned that as COM5, and you're running a serial cable from that
adapter directly to your radio's serial port or level converter.  Maybe you
also have a second cable coming out of that connector that is wired from the
RTS or DTR line to a PTT jack, or wired to a PTT pin on the radio's
accessory connector.  Or maybe you are doing PTT via a software command on
the serial port?  I assume you have assigned Radio 1 to COM5.

To review, when you are using Win-Test in SSB or CW mode, Win-Test can
handle PTT.

But when you are using Win-Test in RTTY mode with MMTTY, MMTTY has to handle
PTT, not Win-Test.

When WT starts MMTTY and that starts EXTFSK it needs a com port number
> assigned, as WT has COM 5 assigned to it and no other com port is in use how
> can EXTFSK work.

You cannot use COM5 for Win-Test rig control / frequency data and COM5 for
MMTTY rig control or EXTFSK PTT at the same time.  You have to use a
separate COM port or LPT port in MMTTY, because Win-Test and MMTTY cannot
share use of the same COM port.  They are two different programs.

Do you have an LPT port available to do the PTT?  Or do you have a second
USB-to-serial adapter you can assign to COM6, and use COM6 for PTT?

For reference, here is a nice detailed description of EXTFSK and how to use
it with MMTTY to control PTT, via a real COM Port or LPT Port or
USB-to-serial adapter.

http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/rtty_start8.htm

In sum, though MMTTY may work fine in standalone mode, using COM5 for both
rig control and PTT, it cannot work with Win-Test *unless* you give up
frequency control / display in Win-Test (essentially running in "No radio"
mode), which isn't usually a good idea.  You will have to use a free port,
serial or parallel, virtual or real, dedicated to MMTTY for PTT use only (or
PTT + FSK).

> I am using AFSK through the sound card so of course I don't need to use
> FSK?

Since you prefer using AFSK, another alternative is to put the radio in VOX
mode, so you don't need PTT.  But you still have to tell MMTTY not to use
COM5 at all, and you'll have to set PTT to "None" in MMTTY.