[WT-support] DXDoubler SO2R conections

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Dec 19 00:43:31 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM <
cx6vm.jorge at adinet.com.uy> wrote:

>  I want to connect a DXDoubler.
>
> I need to know about the DVP cable. I need it for CW SO2R? Or just for SSB.

DVP means "Digital Voice Processor" and usually refers to the K1EA DVP board
(old ISA bus for PC DOS), which is not supported by Win-Test.

The "DVP cable" mentioned by the DX Doubler documentation is only used for
an audio signal, it has nothing to do with SO2R.  The LPT cable is used for
signals that control SO2R switching.

>   How to build this interface? If anyone can help me. I have both TS850
> and TS450 to connect to the DXDoubler.

See page 12 of the DX Doubler Manual
<http://www.qth.com/topten/DXDMAN.PDF>for a connection diagram.
Instead of the "Computer DVP" line, plug a stereo
patch cable from your PC's sound card output (headphone or line out) to the
DX Doubler's Mic. Input.  Plug your Mic. into your PC's mic connector
instead of into the DX Doubler.  An electret headset mic. such as found on
the Yamaha CM-500 <http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7494> works much
better on most PC sound cards than the dynamic mic. in a Heil headset,
though you might get it to work OK if you select "Mic Boost" in Windows
Volume Control (press [Advanced] button).

>  And about the WT mode, I just need to check SO2R (or advanced SO2R) and
> select the LPT port in “configure interfaces” and that´s all?

No, you have to press the [Configure] button and select the appropriate
pins.  See

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Printer_Ports

For a DX Doubler, check the last three boxes only:

Active radio:  Pin 14
Stereo Rx:  Pin 5
CW/PTT:  Pins 17 and 16

Do not check any other boxes if you are using the Win-Test internal sound
card DVK.

This assumes the DX Doubler jumpers are set for CT/TR/Writelog mode as
described on page 6.  Unfortunately, from the DX Doubler manual, it appears
that stereo mode (pin 5) only works in NA mode, so automatic headphone
stereo control via Win-Test (via Ctrl-Alt-S or AltGr-S) may not work at all
with the DX doubler, and you may have to switch your headphones manually
(but not your mic. or keyer).  But try it.

>  I just try DXDoubler just with the LPT cable from DXD to the PC to see if
> something happens, but nothing. Maybe I need to have ALL the cables (radio
> cables, DVP, LPT) to see if it´s working.

First, the switches have to be in the "Auto" position instead of "Manual".
"Auto" means "controlled by a computer."

You need to get the audio from the radios to the DX Doubler, and you need to
get the Win-Test DVK audio from the PC to the DX Doubler, and you need the
control signals on the LPT port to go from the PC to the DX Doubler, so yes,
you need to connect everything eventually, but you should see the LEDs move
on the DX Doubler when you press the [*] key on the numeric pad to swap
radios in Win-Test, with only the LPT line connected, if everything is
configured properly and only the LPT cable is connected.