[WT-support] erratic CW sending with internet

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Wed Dec 16 12:11:02 CET 2009

Hi Steef, Mike et al.

pa2a at xs4all.nl a écrit :

> With a 1 or 2 GB memory or even 512 Meg it is best to turn off the virtual
> memory so no large disk access is necessary anymore.
>
> On the computers I also turned off the sleep and hibernate modes to speed
> up booting. All update mechanisms of Windows and other programs are turned
> off.

In a general manner, it is advised to disable all useless processes that
could access the disk (which Windows makes _prioritary_ over the CW
timing), or stress graphics or networking .

List all running process with the Windows Task Manager and check if they
are *really* useful for your contesting activity. Several of them are
usually run by utilities / third-party programs / gizmos etc. and can be
safely disabled. Use Google to identify them.

You can also use the excellent Autoruns
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to list
all processes that are launched on boot. You'll probably be surprised at
how many executables are launched automatically you weren't aware of,
and sit in your memory !

> The only CW error I hear sometimes is when the time becomes XX:00:00 and
> the MSN clock Wizz style is enabled. A dot then becomes a dash.

Check the latest dev version (revision 251 or better). I've done some
slight mods that could help. I also reduced the startup time by a factor
of 3 (approximately).