[WT-support] default.dta file

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 19 01:25:10 CEST 2009

Bob

<<Well it only displays data after you enter a full callsign, rather
than a partial call, if that's what you are perceiving as "slow.">>

No , in fact there is a finite delay of perhaps 300mS after the callsign
has been entered before the name pops up. That's on a 3Gb Pentium dual
core. Not a huge deal, but the equivalent data from the default.dta file
is instantaneously displayed. My best guess is that this due to some
high level bolt-on interpreted software implementing the function, as
opposed to the core C++ code, but what do I know?

<If you put

# VARIABLE $OPNAME

at the top of your .XDT file, you an use $OPNAME at the front of your CW
Messages (Internal CW keyer only) and Win-Test will send the greeting
automatically.>

I'm a Winkey user- in the MK2R+- but in any case like to do that sort of
stuff on the paddle anyway. Just a personal preference.

<<Instead of printing the entire Win-Test reference (a document which
was never designed to be read from cover to cover) just download the
.PDF file from http://docs.win-test.com/pdf/downloads/manual.pdf and
then you can use the Search capability of Adobe Acrobat to more easily
find things, or print selected sections for more casual study.>>

I've done that of course, but I find I DO need to read things
cover-to-cover to get the whole picture. One can only search for
something that one thinks might exist, and I did not dream that the .xdt
file facility might be there. Not practical of course, so I'll just have
to make do.

The most important thing is the 10,000 hour bit. I've done that with TR,
WL and N1MM ( OK I probably exaggerated a bit there!), but I probably
haven't broken the 10 hour barrier with WT yet, so I need to get cracking.

It's good to have gurus on line for support of course.

73

Clive
GW3NJW