[WT-support] esm and lua

Nick F5VIH/SV3SJ f5vih at sinanis.com
Mon Aug 10 11:50:51 CEST 2009

I've followed the instructions of Larry to have a custom esm script and
managed to write one during the brakes of WAE (yes, this WAE could have more
participants :-) and even test it during the contest. It worked great.
Scripting seems to introduce no noticeable delays when the enter key is
pressed.
I am not a strong contender how ESM should be, other than staying usable,
intuitive and reproducible. What 5B4AGN suggested sounded pretty reasonable
to me and here is my attempt.

Simply place it in the "scripts" directory of WT, named esm.wts (any other
name and WT will ignore the external script). At the top of the script you
will find a variable setting:

shortcq = false;

Setting it to true, it will convert the CQ calling and the TU part of the
QSO in short forms (a la 5b4agn) and the exact contents of the messages are
defined in the two lines that follow the shortcq setting. I have also added
the possibility to have an exchange filled in and no call (in that case the
script sends CL?)

I must say I am very impressed by the functionality that WT opens to the
users with lua scripts. I would really like to see more API calls made
available and WT functions using scripts (programmable keys, even so2r, etc)

In the mean time if you have suggestions to improve the script let me know.
I can easily inlcude them.

Enjoy,

Nick