[WT-support] Software lockout for bandchange ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Aug 4 15:15:31 CEST 2009

> And the delayed transmission of the stored cw message,
> isn't causing a mess
> to your correspondents?

It causes some problems because the software is not  the
main control. It would be MUCH better if the software was
the main sending control.

When there is no hold it passes through real time.
Transparent except for negligable fractional millisecond
delay.

When there is a delay too long the operator can manually
cancel or hold. That is the problem. The operator has to use
buttons other than the keyboard. If the software did it, it
would work much better. A regular hardware delay like you
suggested is much worse. Operator has no idea what will come
out. Might as well not have anything.

> If instead, your lockout system was signaling the locked
> to be operator that
> the other station is TXing wouldn't be more efficient?

No. Because it goes back and forth at a high rate it is
impossible for the ops to follow signals. If you have a slow
lockout then you lose more contacts and might as well use
hand signals. With a fast lockout the other TX can come on
during a pause or the instant the other TX goes into receive
mode.

Assuming that your
> lockout is not "last wins" of course.

Lockout is first wins and holds until TX amp control line on
radio drops, a tie goes to the main radio. The latest
firmware I am trying has a timer that cancels stored message
automatically after xx seconds delay or manual cancel or
hold buttons. The best way by far would be if the software
holds the message, not an external device, because the op
would only have to use the keyboard for everything. That
would require hold  or cancel  inputs to the computer.

Tom