[WT-support] WPX S/N bug

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Apr 17 03:17:02 CEST 2009

We do it by just giving the next number and waiting for the
run station to enter QSO and enter yours then. $NEXTSERIAL
command was created for that also and works great. Also when
the 2nd station has eye contact to RUN station monitor and
he sees the callsign line empty he can give current number
and just enter the QSO reserving the number by doing that
immediately. You can always go and correct the number sent
or callsign after that.>>

That's what we tried doing, but it forces the run operator
to stop.

<<It is not 100% neat way but I also find it might be
confusing to have number blocked. How and when? There cannot
be one single and simple rule. It cannot be based on writing
sth on the callsign field so it can only be based on sending
your call (S&P) or then Exchange (RUN) but sending call will
not necessarily result in QSO?! Also in SSB when MIC is used
there is no way to reserve at all. So why just not enter
something if you want to reserve if a manual action is
necessary anyhow?>>

All it needs to do is hold the number when something is
entered in the call field. It does not matter of a number is
lost, skipped, or duplicated so long as the logs match at
each end of the QSO. The only problem is when the logs do
not match at each end of the QSO.

I would think if it holds the number upon a partial or full
callsign entry it would be OK. Surely there is a way to roll
the other stations number up over the network. If one gets
unused, not a problem at all.

73 Tom