[WT-support] Application Note - VHF Contest

K5RC tom at k5rc.cc
Wed Sep 10 02:50:25 CEST 2008

Rather than reporting a problem, I wanted to share what might be an
innovative application that others can use.

Under normal circumstances I use a FT1000MP and FT2000 with a MK2R SO2R box
and WT software. This weekend is the ARRL September VHF Contest. I will use
the FT2000 on 6 Meters, but was in a quandary about how to use my FT847 (2M
and 440) with WT and without having to rewire the station. The solution: I
installed a second copy of WT in a different directory. I connected the CAT
of the FT847 to a serial port on the same computer as I use for the HF
station. I also used a serial keying cable from the computer to the key
input of the FT847. I started two versions of WT, one for the normal setup
and another for the FT847. I activated the network for both programs (on the
same computer) and, viola; the two logs are synchronized together. I just
have to remember to place the cursor in the correct log for each band.

I use two monitors so there is plenty of real estate for two logs. It is not
possible to run two versions of the MicroHam USB Device Router, however, so
I will have to use two keyers and a simple headphone switch, but I think
this will be robust enough for the VHF contest (W7RN - DM09)

Tom Taormina, K5RC

Virginia City NV

Home of W7RN and K7RC

http://k5rc.cc   FOC 1760

"Communication is the problem to the answer" - 10cc