[WT-support] MK2 & Delay

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Oct 31 19:09:38 CET 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY <f6fvy at free.fr>wrote:

> Answer from Jozef OM7ZZ I asked abt that few days ago :
>
> > It is software port, buffer to buffer, no handshake, baud rate is
> irrelevant. Router should get data at the same time, regardless if port is
> set to 1200 or 57600. Only Important is to use 8bit length.
> > Control Port data are not transfered to keyer, they stops in Router.
> Router than sending flags and to keyer (focus changes etc ...) or starts
> some internal process (DVK).

Maybe it takes a while for the Router software to "start some internal
process (DVK)" the first time you try to communicate with it?

The Control Port baud rate *should *affect how fast Win-Test writes
characters to it, and reads characters back.  Win-Test should exchange the
same messages approximately 12x faster if it thinks the port is operating at
57600 baud rather than 4800.  So I don't understand what Jozef is saying.
Maybe he means all data is buffered internally, so no matter how fast the
buffer fills, it empties at a steady rate.  Perhaps when switching radios or
using the DVK via the Control Port, Win-Test waits for some messages to be
returned from the Router before writing new messages.  Maybe it shouldn't?