[WT-support] R: R: MK2 & Delay

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Oct 29 23:36:31 CET 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM, IZ7AUH Frank <iz7auh at gmail.com> wrote:

>  *I check CPU busy, from 10 to 20 % max, I have Core 2Duo 6300 with 2Gb
> RAM and SATA HD 1 TeraBytes, looking my WinTest and Roter configuration info
> SFW file on my web site*
>
> *www.iz7auh.com/video.asp*
> ***I have last final release of router…*
>
> *This is very annoying delay, I will not allow the use wintest well. *

Thank you -- now I can see everything!  Pictures really help with diagnosis.

Certainly your hardware is fast enough!  But I wonder what program is using
~15% of your fast CPU?  Click on the "Processes" tab in Windows Task
Manager, then click on the "CPU" column title (two times to sort descending)
to see which task is using the most CPU.  I suspect it may be Win-Test.exe
because of excessive polling.

I see three things that seem to be configured incorrectly.

First, you have an Icom IC-7800 listed as Radio 1 on COM2, but you didn't
check the "Don't poll" and "Use CI-V Transceive" options as recommended
under the Icom section of "Suported Rigs" in the
Wiki<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Supported_rigs#Icom>
:

"Best results for Icom radios are usually achieved by checking *both*
the *Don't
poll* and the *Use CI-V-Transceive* options."

That should make the biggest improvement.

The microHAM manual also suggests:  "Disable the Autobaud function in any
Icom Radio used with Router.  Configure the radio, Router, and your
application software to operate at 9600 or 19200 baud."

Second, since you have a microHAM microKeyer II, not an MK2R box, next to
the COM9 in Win-Test SETUP, change the selection from "microHAM MK2R/MK2R+"
to "microHAM MK/MKII", and try at least 57600 baud for the MKII (57600
8-N-1).  I'm not sure what to set for DTR and RTS, but you could try
"Handshake" or leave it as "Always On".

Finally the Winkey baud rate should be changed with the "Winkey Default
Settings " button to reset everything to 1200 8-N-2 not 9600 8-N-1 as shown,
and the unused COM6 "CW" setting on DTR or RTS should be changed to Always
OFF since you are not using COM6 for CW or anything else (may not matter,
but might as well get rid of it).

See http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/BestPractice4#Win-Test for an example of
configuring a microHAM microKeyer.