[WT-support] Need a little networking help

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Sun Oct 12 09:12:30 CEST 2008

Robert Pack, NX5M a écrit :
> I have the first 4 systems set up now.  They are networked together and
> that is working just fine.
> My wintest computers are set up as follows (basically by the book):
> IP 192.168.0.x  (x of course is different all each computer)
> SUBNET 255.255.255.0
> All are plugged into the same network switch (switch B).
> My wtdxtelnet is also set up to broadcast on 192.168.0.255.
> Everything is done just as it should be done.
>
> Problem:  I cannot seem to get internet into the WT computers for dx
> cluster spots.

I suspect that wtDxtelnet can connect (or try to connect to) to the
Telnet cluster through the router which has 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0
address.

The broadcast address defined in Win-Test must be part of the IP address
of your "Internet network" if you want to give Internet access to
wtDxTelnet. Another way would be to define two IP addresses, which is
not a good idea IMO.

Try to configure your computers to get their IP and DNS configuration
automatically by DHCP, then use 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0 as broadcast
and subnet address in WT.

If this still doesn't work, here is a short step-by-step guide:

1. Get connected to Internet (check that with a web browser) the
computer which wtDxTelnet is running on
2. Verify that wtDxTelnet can also connect to the Telnet Clusters
3. Check the IP address of this computer (I guess it should be one of
192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0)
4. Configure the broadcast address in WT to reflect what you got in point 3
5. Duplicate this config to the other computers WT is running on

HTH

Olivier / f5mzn

--
Olivier / f5mzn