[WT-support] Import M/S log

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Nov 24 19:21:18 CET 2008

[[ off list ]]

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY <f6fvy at free.fr> wrote:

> There is no bug at all.
>
> Check the Operating / Technique option.
>
> In M/S, it must be set as "SO1R/Multi-Op" as its name says. Thus, QSOs
> will be marked as R (RUN) or M (MULT).

Laurent,

There's still a bug because if you change category from M/2 to M/S and
change technique to SO1R/Multi-Op, the QSOs marked "R1" change to "R", but
the QSOs marked "R2"  do *not* change to "M".

In my view, this is all very counter-intuitive.  Suppose I want to use use
SO2R logging techniques while operating at a M/S or M/2 station with limited
operators.  Imagine one operator trying to "cover" both the run and mult
stations for a while.  He may wish to use the Advanced SO2R techniques, but
if he does that, all the flags change?

I think intuitively, if the category is changed from M/2 to M/S, the display
should change automatically from R1/R2 to R/M, for all QSOs, when the log is
reloaded.  It should never be the case that some QSOs show as R1/R2 while
other QSOs show R/M.  This is inconsistent and confusing (though thankfully
the Cabrillo file is still consistent).  Also remember that some stations
start the contest as M/S, but then they decide the 10 minute rule is no fun,
so they switch to M/2 in the middle of the contest.

In sum, I recommend separating the run/mult flag from the Operating
Technique completely, as they really shouldn't be coupled so tightly.  The
operating category, and only the category, should determine what is
displayed on the screen in that column.  Why is it "better" to do it based
on "Operating technique?"