[WT-support] Parallel-Port question WT & TS 850

Patrick 9A5CW pat.9a5cw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 09:11:11 CET 2008

Hi WT users...
read this:

In addition to the data pins the parallel port has four other output pins.
Those are handshake pins STROBE (pin 1), AF (pin 14), RESET (pin 16) and
SELECT (pint 17). Those outputs give TTL level signals, but are constructed
electrically differently and controlled with a different control register.

The control outputs are generally constructed as open collector output with
internal pull-up resistor.

         +5

       4.7 kohm

         |________  TTL output
         |   out
        /
    ---L off
        \

        Gnd

This kind of ouputs can't source much of anything (about 1 mA through the
4.7K resistors to +5), and can only sink about 7mA. This kind of output can
control TTL inputs fine, and might be able to run an optocoupler or solid
state relay in sink mode (depends on the device).

Try lower the input resistor from 1k to 670ohm... maybe you can see the
difference... IF you can open the LCU LPT box.

73