[WT-support] Insert in Serial Number Field

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon May 26 02:47:01 CEST 2008

This part of Win-Test data entry works exactly the same as CT.  There is no
command to change it.  Note that the INSERT key is dedicated to another
function (send callsign + exchange).

In the callsign field, where one is often is missing part of the prefix or
suffix, Win-Test accepts input in "insert mode", so you can easily insert
these missing characters with minimal typing (use the Home and End keys as
well).

But in all the exchange fields, where it is more common to just need to
correct a single digit or letter, Win-test accepts characters in "overtype
mode".  In the end, this may seem inconsistent, but I think experienced
users really prefer it to work likes this, even if it may seem inconsistent
to a new user, because it means less typing than if data entry was done the
same way in both fields.

Of course, when you get to 4-digit serial number exchanges, and you know
you're missing the first digit, you do have to retype all 4 digits.
Remember you can also use the numeric 10-key keypad for this.

However, if you're a fast typist, one trick you can use is to enter a
question mark character ("?") when you know you are missing part of the
serial number, e.g., enter

"?202"
-or-
"12?2"

then when you press the space-bar (twice) the cursor will jump right to the
"?", and you'll be able to overtype just the missing digit without having to
retype all the others.