[WT-support] Main advantages of Win-Test over Writelog / N1MM?

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Wed May 7 12:40:57 CEST 2008

Main advantages of Win-Test over Writelog / N1MM?  Each program has its
advantages, and supports different contests.  But for the major contests, we
have a choice of software.

I used Writelog for a while, and managed to overcome its quirks.  But it
doesn't property conform to the expectations of either a Windows user or a
contest logger user.  For example, there is a strange feature whereby the
main entry window can be moved by holding down Ctrl and the mouse.  If you
forget to use Ctrl, the window locks itself onto the "parent" window, and
you have to remember Ctrl to put it back again.  This is a pointless
feature, and is very non-Windows-like.  From the logging point of view,
Writelog has a special mode required to edit previous QSOs.  Other loggers
(Win-test, SD, for example) just treat the entry window and previous QSOs as
part of the same set of data, and you edit and move around the same way.
There is also a "focus" issue with Writelog -- for example, if you use the
mouse to add a new window to your display, the entry cursor has moved from
the log entry window, and you have to bring it back with the mouse.  This is
unnecessary, and Win-test handles the situation better by returning the
cursor focus automatically ready for you to type again.  That being said,
Writelog works reasonably well, and (given its origins) is favoured by many
RTTY and data contesters.

I think N1MM is more of a contender against Win-test, particularly for CW
contests.  It covers a large array of contests, and various
technically-oriented people write modules for new ones.  The price is a
factor in its popularity, I'm sure!  However, it has its own set of quirks.
I particularly dislike the fact that you have to choose a database as well
as a log file in order to start a new contest (why?).  Then there are
similar problems to Writelog as far as entry/editing is concerned -- it's
not intuitive if editing a QSO has to work totally differently from entering
a QSO.  And the interface has an old-fashioned Windows95 look -- nothing
particularly wrong with that, but it doesn't inspire confidence as being up
to the minute.  Also, anyone who thinks that CW sending using a CT-like
interface should at least be acceptable will have a surprise -- the "+"
(plus) key is not permitted for the "QSL, QRZ" message: a pointless extra
bit of learning needed for anyone new joining a multi-op team with N1MM.  Of
course, "Enter sends Message" is popular now (not with me!), so this may not
be an issue.

The major issues with contest software these days, particularly for the big
gun, multi-op stations, are whether or not the networking is easy to set up
and stable.  I leave others to comment on that.  As far as single-op users
are concerned, it's true that anyone can get used to the various
peculiarities of any logging program, and those of us who were around when
CT first came on the scene have little to complain about now.  But I would
say that Win-test is easy to use for a beginner, and you can progress as far
as you like (SO2R, multi-op, etc.) simply by building on what you already
know.  For me, the mark of good logging software is that you don't spend any
time "fighting" with the program, but just use it almost intuitively without
having to concentrate on what to do next -- contesting is difficult enough
without other distractions!  Others will differ, but I find that Win-test is
the software that does what I need, and let's me do operating and not
computing.

73,

Ed, GW3SQX