[WT-support] Networking

Mario Lorenz ml-wt at vdazone.org
Tue Mar 25 22:38:09 CET 2008

Am 25. Mar 2008, um 00:29:32 schrieb Bob Wilson, N6TV:
> In a small network, DHCP will work just fine.
>
> In a large multi-multi with backup routers and redundant network paths, it's
> just easier to diagnose network problems or replace a router if every PC has
> a fixed local IP address assigned to it.

In general, a DHCP server will be a single point of failure.
If you trip over that wire that powers the Ethernet Hub and the
computer/router/whatnot being your DHCP server, then after plugging
in the thing again, you have to wait for the DHCP server to boot until
the machines can get their IP address back, at which time they might
have elected to switch to the 169.254 zeroconf space, which ultimately
leads into several minutes of network outage.

In a Multi-Multi HQ operation, you being the network/computer guy,
will not exactly earn thanks from the Ops trying to become world #1.
So it certainly does make sense to invest the minute before the contest
to assign static IPs, so they will be back right after the Ethernet hub
has power again.

In a non-permanent session with OPs bringing their own equipment, you
might want to look into RFC 2322 compliant PEG-DHCP.

Mario

--
Mario Lorenz                            Internet:    <ml at vdazone.org>
                                        Ham Radio:   DL5MLO at DB0ERF.#THR.DEU.EU