[WT-support] Networking

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Mar 25 08:29:32 CET 2008

In a small network, DHCP will work just fine.

In a large multi-multi with backup routers and redundant network paths, it's
just easier to diagnose network problems or replace a router if every PC has
a fixed local IP address assigned to it.

For example, you could assign these fixed and private IP addresses:

192.168.0.160 (160m)
192.168.0.80 (80m)
192.168.0.40 (40m)
192.168.0.20 (20m)
192.168.0.15 (15m)
192.168.0.10 (10m)
192.168.0.99 (Spare)

or a some similar method to quickly translate an IP address to a station,
and vice versa.  If one PC is getting lots of packet errors due to RFI
problems or hardware problems, it can be quickly identified by the failing
IP address.