[WT-support] Commonwealth Contest (BERU)

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Thu Mar 13 14:36:43 CET 2008

Hello Win-Test fans,

As VQ5XF I used Win-Test in the RSGB's Commonwealth Contest (BERU) for the
first time this year. It was excellent.

I started by importing my last year's Commonwealth Contest log (which had
been done in an old version of CT) into a Win-Test file. From there I was
able to generate the necessary "objective file" which would provide the
target tracking for this year's contest. Again this worked very well, and I
was able to track this year's QSOs against last year's QSOs.

It was also interesting to note that Win-Test scored perfectly my previous
year's log when I imported it from CT. In fact it scored it more accurately
than I had done myself manually after the contest last year!

There is however one small area that could be improved with Win-Test and
Commonwealth Contest.

As it stands you are not able to track (i.e use an objective file) and
compare this year's total score (i.e QSO Points plus Bonus Points) with that
of last year. It is the combination of QSO Points and Bonus Points which
gives the total score. It would be nice to be able to track the total score
(as well as the QSO totals) from one year to the next within Win-Test.

Bravo to the designers of Win-Test . one could hardly imagine that they
personally have much interest in the RSGB's Commonwealth Contest! But
nevertheless they have done a great job in providing all the excellent
features of Win-Test for participants in the Commonwealth Contest (BERU).

73 - Nigel G3TXF

PS : And just in case your are wondering "BERU" stands for British Empire
Radio Union, which is what the 'Commonwealth Contest' was called when it was
first run in 1931.