[WT-support] Even more on WinTest and DX Cluster

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Mar 2 00:24:14 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is getting confusing responding to varying comments so I started a
> fresh thread.

It is getting confusing trying to understand your various computer and
network configurations.  I think we may not be able to resolve this via
email.  It sound like you have a Windows networking issue, not a Win-Test
issue.   You may need "on site" help from a local PC guru to get everything
straightened out.

Wasn't it true that you received an error message trying to configure the
Windows firewall on the "bad" computer (in the shack)?  If you can't get the
Windows firewall to start or stop, then you have a very broken Windows
system (or one with another, hidden, 3rd party firewall or virus on it).
That machine should be considered a lost cause and you shouldn't waste any
more time trying to get wtDxTelnet to work on it until you completely
reinstall Windows XP SP2 and get the Windows firewall working in a normal
fashion.

Using Win-Test broadcast = 127.255.255.255, wtDxTelnet broadcast =
192.168.0.255 works fine on my PC too.  "127.255.255.255" is just an alias
for "the broadcast address for the local PC", so this is not too surprising.

In any case, here are even more questions:

Are you using a Proxy Server?  (Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections
tab, LAN Settings).  If so, you may need to check "Bypass proxy server for
local addresses".

Are you simultaneously running wtDXTelnet on both computers?  wtDxTelnet
should only be running on ONE machine at a time.   You may want both PCs to
share this single wtDXTelnet configuration, so you need to press the [By
default] button in the Ethernet SETUP screen to generate the proper default
broadcast address that both can share (e.g., 192.168.0.255), and use that
broadcast address everywhere, on all machines, on all versions of
wtDxTelnet.  If you only want it to run on a single machine, then the
loopback address (127.255.255.255) should always work unless Windows
networking is broken or disabled somehow.

If the [By default] button generates *different* default broadcast IP
addresses on each machine, that is an important clue.  You will need to
resolve this.

Please do IPCONFIG /ALL on both machines and post the results.

Please post a snapshot of the *entire* Win-Test SETUP screen.  I wonder if
you have a COM port configured as "Network" or "Packet Radio TNC"?  You
definitely should NOT have either setting if you are using wtDxTelnet and
Ethernet.

Please make sure you are signed on to both machines with an Administrator ID
(Control Panel, User Accounts).

In any case, this discussion has gone on quite a while here, and may no
longer be of general interest.  Perhaps it is best to take it off line until
you can find a solution, then the share the fix with everyone.