[WT-support] Serials in M/S

F5HRY f5hry at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 28 10:08:08 CEST 2008

Hello Filipe,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Filipe Lopes" <ct1ilt at mail.telepac.pt>
To: <support at win-test.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [WT-support] Serials in M/S

> Hi all
>
> back from Insua Isl. EU150 (CQ2I)

It seemed that you did a great job (seen from TM1W), congrats !

> well I never expirienced so many troubles with win-test as this
> weekend...it
> looked like the old CT

Well ... Switch back to CT ? (kidding)

> The main problem was with serial numbers. Like I have been doing since I
> have Win-Test I set up a local network for 2 station operation
>
> The problem was when the 2 stations enter the qso at the same time, if
> they
> did that the serial number would be equal on both qsos. Example:
>
> ZC4LI #999
> DL2ANM #999
>
> i dont understand why this happened, it never happened to me before
>
> any comments on this?

It's not a bug, it's a feature ! If you look carefully to the IOTA contest
rules, you will read :

<<6. EXCHANGE
Send RS(T) and serial number starting from 001, plus IOTA reference number
if applicable (island stations MUST include the IOTA reference as part of
their exchange). Do not use separate numbering systems for CW and SSB.
Stations may be contacted on both CW and SSB on each band. Multi-operator
entrants may find it convenient to allocate separate blocks of serial
numbers for the run and multiplier stations, but do ensure if possible that
there is no duplication of serial numbers.>>

This means that there is no seperate numbering between the modes (clearly
written) and between the modes (the separate blocks for run and mult
stations
are not used by anyone as it may be confusing - try to send 595000 at
1201z - and are not supported by any logger, as far as I know). Thus, as you
mention,
2 QSOs may have the same number. As the rule says "do ensure *if possible*
that there is no duplication of serial numbers", Win-Test allows to give the
same
serial number to 2 QSOs, and there should be no problem when you summit your
log to the IOTA contest robot !

The WPX used to suffer the same problem some years ago. The managers changed
the rules to a seperate numbering per band. IMO, that would also help
in the IOTA contest.

Vy 73

Herve F5HRY (TM1W M/S during IOTA, same "troubles")
Win-Test Team