[WT-support] CW Speed variations

Tom Taormina Tom at k5rc.cc
Tue Feb 26 17:21:58 CET 2008

We've talked this subject to death and still both of my MK2R's running under
WT begin erratic CW speed problems sooner or later during a contest. I
recorded a transaction log for OM7MM at MicroHam and he said he could not
see any anomalous behavior of the MK2R.

I just had an interesting experience with Green Heron and relate it here
because I would like for all of you to consider if the issue is USB related.

I have six Green Heron rotor control boxes. With their USB ports connected,
I experienced extremely erratic behavior. It took many restarts to connect
to the GH server each time I shut one of the boxes off. Sometimes, I had to
delete and reinstall the drivers or the devices. I decided to install an 8
port Serial card in the computer and all of the problems have gone away. I
have worked with W2FU in the past and know him to be a very capable
engineer, but I am also aware that USB protocol is massively more complex
than serial or parallel protocol.

Is it possible that the time has NOT YET come for USB to be stable enough
for our needs in ham radio, or is USB too complex for the amateur to
implement? Just a thought. The three groups involved in this issue need to
have a summit and fix this problem.

Tom Taormina, K5RC

CQ Contest Hall of Fame
Virginia City NV