[WT-support] Question about CW weight

hank.k8dd hank.k8dd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 06:52:48 CET 2008

If you want a smaller keyer there is the Winkey Serial - It connects to
either a real Serial port or a USB -> Serial cable and works pretty much the
same as the WinkeyUSB.  Unlike the WinkeyUSB it only has one output for CW
and one for PTT.

I don't believe that all the WinkeyerUSB (or Winkeyer2) functions are
supported by Win-Test from the WK setup in version 3.23.0.

73    Hank    K8DD

2008/12/12 Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv at arrl.net>

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:
>

>> So are you saying the WinKey will allow adjustment of weight when I am
>> using the function keys to send CW?
>

> Yes, the K1EL WinKey supports everything:  weight (default 50%), keying
> compensation, even lengthening of the first element (I think).  When you
> press a function key, Win-Test sends an ASCII character string to this
> WinKey device, over a serial port or USB line (virtual serial port).  The
> WinKey translates the ASCII to on/off CW, at whatever weighting you have
> pre-programmed.  The WinKey also supports paddles, and the paddles interrupt
> the messages, just like most memory keyers do.  In other words, it
> completely replaces your legacy keyer.  It has both a speed knob and a
> computer interface.  It doesn't have a weight "knob", but it has a software
> setting that does the same thing.
>
> I may not uderstand how WinKey works. I don't see how that has anything to
>> do with legacy ports.
>

> I was just saying that many new PCs don't have serial or parallel ports
> these days, only USB.  The WinKey USB works fine with such computers, and
> the device driver software suppots a "virtual" COM port that software
> programs can use so that they think they are talking to a real serial port
> even if one doesn't exist.
>

>> How can WinKey correct or adjust the weight from an external input?
>

> Because it receives ASCII from the software and also regular paddle
> "input", and generates the on/off keying in microcode in the WinKey
> hardware.
>

>> I have an external keyer in parallel with the computer keying output.
>

> Yes, which means you have to constantly adjust both the speed of the
> computer and the speed of the external keyer, and you have to remember to
> press [Escape] to interrupt the computer when you want to send something
> with the paddles.  A WinKey solves both problems.
>

>> I don't see what that has to do with legacy ports
>

> If you have a legacy parallel port, some software (TRlog, CTWin) lets you
> connect paddles to it, completely eliminating the need for any external
> keyer.  Win-Test never supported that (but it would be nice).  Instead, they
> recommend using a WinKey.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.'    -anon
-